1 Cup BBQ Sauce Sweet Baby Ray’s
1 Cup Sweet Orange Marmalade Smucker’s
2 TBSP Soy Sauce
Crispy Chicken Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken Breasts We used 3
1 Cup Flour/1 Cup Cornstarch You can use both or either/or
Oil We used vegetable oil
ORANGE CHICKEN SAUCE —– A few drops of cooking oil 1 tablespoon of brown sugar 1 teaspoon of white sugar 0.5 cup of orange juice Half a thumb size of young ginger – grated 3 cloves of grated garlic 1 tablespoon of black vinegar 0.5 tablespoons of dark soy sauce Some cornstarch solution (add enough to the sauce to thicken to your liking)
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp soy sauce
You’ll first need to make the sweet and sour chicken sauce, which consists of sugar, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, soy sauce, sesame oil, brown sugar, garlic, corn starch, and water. Add everything but the water and cornstarch to a saucepan.
Bring the sauce to a boil, then combine the water and cornstarch in a separate bowl before adding it to the homemade sweet and sour sauce. Let that bubble away for a few minutes until it thickens up.
- Ketchup – and plenty of it – for a tanginess and colour. I don’t eat a lot of ketchup, but it’s a must for this dish.
- Malt vinegar – it’s the best type of vinegar I’ve found for getting the ‘right’ touch of sourness.
- Brown sugar – for rounded sweetness, and to counteract any bitterness in the vinegar.
- Pineapple chunks in pineapple juice – yep, rather than chopping up a fresh pineapple, I find pineapple chunks actually work better, and the juice is an all-important element to the sweet–tangy flavour of the sauce.
- -lace the cornstarch in one shallow bowl, and the eggs in another shallow bowl. Beat the eggs lightly.
- Take each piece of chicken and dredge it in the cornstarch. Then dip it in the egg. Transfer that to a skillet with oil that has been heated over medium-high heat. And yes – you dip in the cornstarch then the egg – this is a little different than a lot of other recipes.
- Cook the chicken in batches, just until it is browned. The chicken will bake in the oven, so this is just to brown and crisp up the chicken, not to cook it through. Transfer the chicken to a baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine your sauce ingredients – sugar, ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and garlic powder. Pour this mixture over the chicken in the baking dish.
- Bake the chicken at 325ºF for an hour, stirring it every 15 minutes.
- Serve the sweet and sour chicken over rice and be prepared to never want to get it for take out again!