"Exclusive: Marvel’s New Iron Man Is a Black Woman" "Marvel writer Brian Michael Bendis talks the creation of Riri Williams, who will take over for Tony Stark" "Riri is a science genius who enrolls in MIT at the age of 15. She comes to the attention of Tony when she builds her own Iron Man suit in her dorm."
So when you’re introducing new characters, you’re always going to have people getting paranoid about us ruining their childhood.
I think what’s most important is that the character is created in an organic setting. We never had a meeting saying, “we need to create this character.” It’s inspired by the world around me and not seeing that represented enough in popular culture.
They’re individuals just like Captain America and Cyclops are individuals
there was a part of an audience crawling through the desert looking for an oasis when it came to representation, and now that it’s here, you’ll go online and be greeted with this wave of love.
One of the things Tony does to distract himself from all the things going on in his life
>>> 1) media is super important to young people for picking career aspirations (see: number of astrophysicists who credit nova pbs, or my own friends who credit battlebots in their youth)
2) recent explosive rise and dominance of male superhero movies in film market
3) film executives tend to whine about "playing it safe" when excusing not picking more diverse role models, and earning billions of dollars safely is pretty enticing
4) exporting of these "safe" movies to developing countries is problematic too
5) e.g. china may have a worse problem with women in engineering and CS than we do, and they are a growing media market
6) girls don't see themselves as engineers in the future = fewer girls pursuing STEM
>>> Relatedly, try looking at movie merchandise in your local target or whatever :3 this was super depressing after big hero 6
>>> 1) www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2016/06/13/nsf-innovation-cordova & see right side panel "in the news" http://news.mit.edu/2016/mit-maker-culture-battlebots-0630
Where is the black widow?
Where's the fact that Honey didn't just "get" her bag, she _made_ her bag?