Reading Time: 1 minutes
Only a year late (for pt2), but following on part 1 (rainbow heart cookies), rainbow challah!
Eh, it’s late so here’s a photodump instead.
- make sure to use gel food coloring, not normal food dyes (which are watery and won’t give you vibrant colors)
- make challah dough. You’ll need:
yeast, eggs, salt, all-purpose flour, honey, and optionally butter
- 1/3 is white and the remaining 2/3 are split evenly among the colors (six for a full rainbow).
- leave it sitting for an hour under a moist paper towel (so it doesn’t dry out) until it’s doubled in size 😀
- braid it (see youtube)
- for ours, we smushed the colors side by side, then cut it into six chunks long-ways, then stretch each of the six chunks out, and THEN we braided the chunks together.
- So each “strand” of the braid by itself had six colors, so braided together it became super colorful!
- if you want, put egg white + cinnamon paste on it (you can see we made two kinds)
- put it in the oven (at 350F for half an hour or so, until it’s a golden brown)
- slice and eat 😀